Currently looking for an experienced Clinical Lab Scientist, Medical Technologist or Registered Nurse for the Director of Transfusion Medicine opening at City of Hope National Medical Center. Interested candidates must have a minimum of 5 years of recent patient care experience in blood banking, donor collections, or therapeutic apheresis operation, as well as 5 years of progressively responsible management experience.
Responsibilities of the Director of Transfusion Medicine
- Direct the day-to-day administrative and operational activities of the Blood Bank, Stem Cell Processing Laboratory, Donor/Apheresis Center (DAC), including Blood Donor Operations, Therapeutic Apheresis, Blood Donor Recruitment, and the COH-sponsored National Marrow Donor Program. Within all areas ensures financial and contractual integrity as well as compliance with legal and regulatory requirements, patient and donor safety, and optimum customer service. Must be able to fully represent all functional areas in management discussions at Leadership level. Also accountable for ensuring whole blood and platelet collections are maintained to support patient needs.
- Develop, gain approval, and achieve program operational plans; revenue, expense and capital budgets. Establish short term and long term strategic goals and objectives for all functional areas consistent with the long-range goals and vision of COH. Participate in long-range department and facility planning.
- Work closely with individual functional managers within the department on operational direction, policies and activities; ensure that adequate training and competency of all staff (licensed and non-licensed), maintain standard operating procedures, support blood bank and stem cell operations, facilitate efficient donor and patient flow processes, support and promote awareness of blood donor and bone marrow collection programs on campus and within the surrounding communities, and coordinate with other departments (i.e.Hem/Bone Marrow Transplantation) on research protocols, IRBs, and emerging therapies. Serve as operational representative on various committees, steering committees, councils and boards.
- Attract, retain, and develop a quality team of managers, supervisors, CLSs, RNs, LVNs, Technicians and administrative staff. Serve as leader, mentor and coach. Serve in advisory capacity for managers to assist them on personnel management issues including hiring, development, progressive discipline issues and terminations with their direct reports. Perform all these same functions independently for director’s direct reports. Oversight of department of approximately 130 staff.
- In collaboration with the Transfusion Medicine quality and compliance staff, facilitate the development of quality practices and processes including validation plans for instruments, practices and procedures to help ensure continuous compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements of FDA, AABB, CAP, CPHD, Joint Commission, and FACT. Ensure the implementation of the Department Quality Plan.
Requirements of the Director of Transfusion Medicine
- Bachelor’s Degree (B.S. or B.A.) required.
- Minimum of 5 years of recent patient care experience in blood banking, donor collections, or therapeutic apheresis operation, as well as 5 years of progressively responsible management experience.
- California license as a Clinical Laboratory Scientist – CLS (ASCP) or Medical Technologist - MT (ASCP) (ASCP) or Registered Nurse (BSN).
- MBA, MHA, MPH, etc. is preferred.
This position is offering $170-$180k base salary depending on experience, performance bonus potential as well as a comprehensive full benefits package.
This is a management position
This is a full-time position