Currently looking for an experienced Surgical Assistant/First Asst to fill an opening in the CVOR at Emory Healthcare St Joseph's Hospital. Interested candidates must have 2 years of surgical assistant/first assistant experience.
Responsibilities of the Surgical Assistant/First Asst, CVOR
- Assisting the surgeon under direct and indirect supervision throughout preoperative, intraoperative, and post-operative duties and procedures as needed.
- Provide aid in exposure, hemostasis, closure, and other intraoperative technical functions that help the surgeon carry out a safe operation with optimal results for the patient.
- Safe positioning, assist circulator and anesthesia provider in preparation of the patient.
- Performing specific tasks according to individual surgeon preference utilizing appropriate techniques.
- Application of specific dressing material, assist in transfer of patient and following patient to recovery if needed or directed by surgeon.
- Appropriate placement and securing of retractors with or without padding.
- Packing with sponges.
- Digital manipulation of tissue.
- Suctioning, irrigating, or sponging.
- Manipulation of suture materials (e.g. loops, tags, running sutures).
- Proper use of body mechanics to prevent obstruction of the surgeon's view.
- Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with hemostasis.
- Clamping and/or cauterizing vessels or tissue; tying and/or ligating clamped vessels or tissue; applying hemostatic clips; placing local hemostatic agents.
- Applying tourniquets and demonstrating awareness of the indications/contraindications for use with knowledge of side effects of extended use; applying vessel loops; applying non-crushing clamps; applying direct digital pressure.
- Utilizing appropriate techniques to assist with closure of body planes.
- Utilizing running or interrupted subcutaneous sutures with absorbable or non-absorbable material.
- Utilizing subcuticular closure technique with or without adhesive skin closure strips.
- Closing skin with method indicated by surgeon (suture, staples, etc.).
- Postoperative subcutaneous injection of local anesthetic agent as directed by the surgeon.
- Selecting and applying appropriate wound dressing: liquid or spray occlusive materials, absorbent material affixed with tape of circumferential wrapping; immobilizing dressing (soft or rigid).
Requirements of the Surgical Assistant/First Asst, CVOR
- Graduate and /or certification from surgical assisting programs accredited through ARC/STSA.
- 2 years of surgical assistant/first assistant experience is required.
- Some areas may require specialized experience. (i.e. in cardiothoracic surgery, two years of directly related experience is required).
Compensation for the Surgical Assistant/First Asst, CVOR
The starting salary for this position ranges from $30 - $42 per hour depending on experience
This is a non-management position
This is a full-time position