POSITION TITLE: Material Handler 2
REPORTS TO: Warehouse Transportation Manager
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB: Under the general direction of site management, identically to the Material Handler 1, a Material Handler 2 will utilize their Customer Service skills to work with the public while collecting donated items. They will work the processes needed to ensure the donated items are being processed according to GIRE guidelines. Additionally a Material Handler 2 will be certified and routinely assigned to use a forklift.
PROVIDES SUPERVISION TO: None
RESPONSIBILITIES - ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provide exemplary Customer Service to GIRE’s donors, customers, clients and staff.
- Accept and sort donations into appropriate bins.
- Responsible for maintaining daily donor counts.
- Administer receipts to GIRE donors.
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures to include a once per month mandatory Safety Meeting.
- Notify supervisor when supplies are needed or service/repair to equipment is necessary.
- Daily call ins to the CDC Manager.
- Responsible for keeping CDC assigned cell phone charged and on during business hours.
- Delivery of supplies to CDC’s so must have a clean driving record.
- Cover CDC’s when there are vacancies, sick call ins or for scheduled vacations of coworkers.
- Work in the Warehouse environment to assist the Warehouse and Transportation teams.
- Complete all required daily inspection logs.
- Assist with loading and unloading GIRE trucks.
- Removal of Trash as needed
- Support GIRE Outlet Center by filling and rotating tables with donations for the sales floor, and recycling into Salvage streams.
- Operate heavy machinery such as Tipper, Compactor and Baler.
- Process eWaste and Hazardous materials appropriately.
- Administer forklift duties to include, but not limited to, stacking of Gaylords, loading and unloading of trucks, removal and stacking of salvage bales, crushing and dumping trash in large trash containers.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Maintain a well-groomed appearance.
- Conduct self in courteous and professional manner at all times.
- Adhere to all agency policies.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Must hold a GIRE White Vest – beginner forklift certification. Must have the ability/skill set to obtain the GIRE Green Vest – intermediate forklift certification.
- If no qualified internal candidate applies GIRE reserves the right to hire an outside applicant.
- Physical stamina to stand, bend and stretch for a full work shift.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Legible handwriting.
- Customer service skills.
- Ability to comprehend operating and safety instructions.
- Ability to take direction, work independently or with a team and work with minimal supervision.
- CDC Department ONLY - Required to have proof of a valid CA Class C license, proof of insurance, and an insurable driving record.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to all weather conditions/elements. May be working outside with uneven walking surfaces and cement floors and/or inside on cement floors. Will experience moderate to extreme variations in temperature and weather, exposure to vehicle fumes, moderate to low noise levels and moderate to high levels of dust. Frequent interaction with the public.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Able to withstand frequent sitting, standing and walking on concrete or uneven surfaces. Ability to perform continuous lifting, bending, stooping, reaching, grasping, pushing and pulling throughout entire work shift. Frequent pushing and pulling. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and maneuver weights up to 400 pounds using proper equipment.
For safety reasons, vision must be correctable to 20/20 and employee must be able to wear all personal protective equipment that is assigned, including, but not limited to, gloves, vests and eye protection.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Warehouse Transportation Manager
Minorities and People with Disabilities are encouraged to apply.
This is a full-time position