EIGHT TIMES VOTED BEST PLACE TO WORK SONOMA COUNTY, INCLUDING 2016 THROUGH 2020!
Goodwill Redwood Empire serves Sonoma, Napa, Lake, Mendocino, Humboldt and Trinity counties. Our mission: Changing lives and strengthening communities through the dignity and power of work. We provide vocational rehabilitation and habilitation services, such as job counseling, job training, and work experience, to unemployed and underemployed persons, persons with disabilities and persons who have a job market disadvantage because of lack of education, job skill, or experience.
POSITION TITLE: Material Handler 1
REPORTS TO: Warehouse Transportation Manager
This position is 20 hours per week.
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB: Under the general direction of site management a Material Handler 1 will utilize their Customer Service skills to work with the public while collecting donated items. They will work the processes needed to ensure the donated items are being processed according to GIRE guidelines.
PROVIDES SUPERVISION TO: None
RESPONSIBILITIES - ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Provide exemplary Customer Service to GIRE’s donors, customers, clients and staff.
- Accept and sort donations into appropriate bins.
- Responsible for maintaining daily donor counts.
- Administer receipts to GIRE donors.
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures to include a once per month mandatory Safety Meeting.
- Notify supervisor when supplies are needed or service/repair to equipment is necessary.
- Daily call ins to the CDC Manager or the CDC MH 2.
- Responsible for keeping CDC assigned cell phone charged and on during business hours.
- Complete all required daily inspection logs.
- Assist with loading and unloading GIRE trucks.
- Removal of Trash as needed
- Support GIRE Outlet Center by filling and rotating tables with donations for the sales floor, and recycling into Salvage streams.
- Operate heavy machinery such as Tipper, Compactor and Baler.
- Process eWaste and Hazardous materials appropriately.
- Potential for obtaining the GIRE White Vest – beginner forklift certification for qualifying individuals.
- Maintain a clean and organized work environment.
- Maintain a well-groomed appearance. Conduct self in courteous and professional manner at all times.
- Adhere to all agency policies.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Physical stamina to stand, bend and stretch for a full work shift.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Legible handwriting.
- Customer service skills.
- Ability to comprehend operating and safety instructions.
- Ability to take direction, work independently or with a team and work with minimal supervision.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to all weather conditions/elements. May be working outside with uneven walking surfaces and cement floors and/or inside on cement floors. Will experience moderate to extreme variations in temperature and weather, exposure to vehicle fumes, moderate to low noise levels and moderate to high levels of dust. Frequent interaction with the public.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Able to withstand frequent sitting, standing and walking on concrete or uneven surfaces. Ability to perform continuous lifting, bending, stooping, reaching, grasping, pushing and pulling throughout entire work shift. Frequent pushing and pulling. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and maneuver weights up to 400 pounds using proper equipment.
For safety reasons, vision must be correctable to 20/20 and employee must be able to wear all personal protective equipment that is assigned, including, but not limited to, gloves, vests and eye protection.
Minorities and People with Disabilities are encouraged to apply
This is a part-time position