SIX TIMES VOTED BEST PLACE TO WORK SONOMA COUNTY, INCLUDING 2016, 2017 & 2018!
Goodwill Redwood Empire serves Sonoma, Napa, Lake, Mendocino, Humboldt and Trinity counties. Our mission: Changing lives and strengthening communities through the dignity and power of work. We provide vocational rehabilitation and habilitation services, such as job counseling, job training, and work experience, to unemployed and underemployed persons, persons with disabilities and persons who have a job market disadvantage because of lack of education, job skill, or experience.
POSITION TITLE: Payroll Specialist
STATUS: Full-Time – Non-Exempt
DEPARTMENT: Human Resources
This position has a starting pay of $25.00 per hour
BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDED!!!
As a non-exempt/ full time GIRE employee you will be eligible for 2 weeks paid vacation, up to 10 paid holidays, paid sick leave, medical, dental and vision coverage, health reimbursement account (medical), Life & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, a 20% discount in Goodwill retail stores, and more! Please select our Benefits tab on our home page for more information.
PROVIDES SUPERVISION TO: None
RESPONSIBILITIES – ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Payroll Processing
- Responsible for the processing of payroll data on a bi-weekly basis. Insures accuracy of calculated time cards and prepares payroll for all departments.
- Coordinates with HR Team to insure benefit deductions are appropriately captured and deducted.
- Insures internal verifications of entries and procedures are followed.
- Meets all payroll deadlines.
- Prepares various payroll related reports and journal entries as required.
- Reconciles quarterly 941 reporting within 45 days of quarter end.
- Produces handwritten checks as needed between payroll processing periods.
- Process wage garnishments through payroll process and communicates with employees as required by law.
- Verifications of Employment
- Fields calls and written requests for verification of employment in accordance with GIRE policy and procedure.
- Completed forms from potential employers, government agencies, etc. for approval by Division Director.
- Maintains knowledge of, and serves as resource for manager and employees with any concerns with the time and attendance system. Troubleshoots issues. Utilizes system for payroll and reporting purposes.
- Conducts research and provides reports as requested by management.
- Conduct self in a professional and ethical manner. Maintain unquestionable confidentiality of all data and human resource related matters.
- Adheres to all organizational policies and procedures.
- Operates general business machines such as personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- High school diploma required. Additional secondary education desired.
- Two years payroll processing experience in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment desired or three years of HRIS experience.
- The ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- A meticulous attention to detail
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Collaborative, team-oriented approach
- Able to effectively organize multiple priorities, and meet agreed-upon deadlines.
- Ability to balance a friendly, service-oriented relationship with employees, while maintaining strict confidentiality.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to interact effectively with a diverse population.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills. Ability to understand, speak and be understood in English. Spanish language skills a plus.
- Intermediate skills in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and e-mail software
- Ability to perform effectively and cooperatively as part of a team and to consult with employees and managers at all levels of the organization.
- Skills in observation, assessment, problem solving, and exercising sound judgment and tact.
- Solid understanding of needs of a human resources/payroll function as it pertains to maintaining confidentiality, using good judgment in dealing with employees and personnel documentation, and providing accurate information.
- Knowledge of payroll and benefit related laws and regulations, including tax requirements.
- Valid driver’s license, acceptable DMV record and proof of automobile insurance required.
- Ability to work under general supervision, effectively organize multiple priorities and meet deadlines.
- Skills and experience in Human Resources Information Systems, automated payroll processing systems and timekeeping systems.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Entails exposure to the following environmental conditions: Constant exposure to moderate business office noise levels, such as office machines, conversations, foot traffic; some (less than 1/3rd) exposure to moving mechanical parts, fumes, toxic chemicals, airborne particles, and risk of electrical shock.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Standing/sitting intermittently throughout work shift; repetitive finger movements with frequent computer use; limited bending/ stooping. Good visual acuity. Ability to regularly lift and move 10 pounds and occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director of Administrative Services
Minorities and People with Disabilities are encouraged to apply
This is a full-time position