POSITION TITLE: Peer Support Specialist (Consumer Driven and Operated Programs)
DEPARTMENT: Workforce Development
1. CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB:
Under supervision, the Peer Specialist provides support and wellness/recovery services to peers (consumers of mental health services) at the Wellness & Advocacy Center and in the community.
2. PROVIDES SUPERVISION TO: None
3. RESPONSIBILITIES-ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Work one-to one with members to encourage goal-setting and progress.
- Conduct self-help, support, and educational groups as a peer facilitator.
- Use a strengths-based perspective with members to encourage self-determination, empowerment, personal growth and positive choices.
- Actively seek out, socialize with, and offer support to prospective and current members.
- Evaluate potential members’ suitability for Center services and conduct sign-up interviews.
- Provide tours of the Center for Community members, providers and interested parties.
- Become knowledgeable about disability resources and income benefits on the County, State, and Federal level.
- Learn about local agencies and opportunities in the areas of housing/food/clothing/ employment/education/recreation/counseling and self-help groups outside the Center
- Utilize the above knowledge to provide referrals and “warm handoffs” to local agencies and service providers.
- Maintain a daily/monthly log to record one-to-one peer counseling and resource assistance given to members.
- Investigate and inform staff on current and innovative peer self-help practices.
- Participate in one-to-one instruction, group trainings, webinars, and conferences related to peer specialist work.
- Other duties as assigned.
4. ANCILLARY FUNCTIONS
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures
- Conduct self in a professional and courteous manner at all times
- Perform other job related duties as assigned by your supervisor.
- Self-identification as a mental health services consumer.
- Comprehensive training on Peer Counseling techniques (with instructor recommendation), and/or:1+ year experience as a volunteer or paid staff in mental health or related field.
- 1+ year in-depth self-recovery work and (if applicable) abstinence from substance abuse.
- Interpersonal flexibility and excellent social skills.
- Dedication to preserving and advancing the rights and abilities of persons with lived mental health experience.
- Willingness to accept supervision, training, and a continual learning process.
- Ongoing commitment to own mental health recovery and personal growth.
- Computer and Internet literacy (working knowledge of MS Office suite preferred).
- Active contribution to a warm friendly and positive environment.
- Communicate effectively in person, on the phone, and via email.
- Work consistently as a participating team member.
- Knowledge of the client/consumer self-help movement.
- Knowledge of the purpose, population and mission of the Wellness and Advocacy Center.
6. WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Clean office environment, temperate climate, overhead lighting, and low to moderate noise level.
7. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Standing/sitting intermittently throughout day. Continuous and repetitive grasping and finger movements to use computer. Physical bending/stooping/lifting/walking. Vehicle travel, visual and hearing skills required.
8. IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR:
Department: WFD - Workforce Development
This is a part-time position
Visit Careers at Goodwill - Redwood Empire