SIX TIMES VOTED BEST PLACE TO WORK SONOMA COUNTY, INCLUDING 2016, 2017 & 2018!
Goodwill Redwood Empire serves Sonoma, Napa, Lake, Mendocino, Humboldt and Trinity counties. Our mission: Changing lives and strengthening communities through the dignity and power of work. We provide vocational rehabilitation and habilitation services, such as job counseling, job training, and work experience, to unemployed and underemployed persons, persons with disabilities and persons who have a job market disadvantage because of lack of education, job skill, or experience.
POSITION TITLE: Material Handler I
DEPARTMENT: Operations or Retail
This position has a starting pay of $12.50 per hour at various locations. Hours are based on your needs and our business needs.
BENEFITS PACKAGE INCLUDED FOR FULL TIME POSITIONS!!!
As a non-exempt/ full time GIRE employee you will be eligible for 2 weeks paid vacation, up to 10 paid holidays, paid sick leave, medical, dental and vision coverage, health reimbursement account (medical), Life & AD&D insurance, employee assistance program, and more! Please select our Benefits tab on our home page for more information.
All GIRE employees are eligible for a 20% discount in our retail stores!
CHARACTERISTICS OF THE JOB:
Under the general direction of site management, a Material Handler I will receive and sort donations, handle the collection efforts of e-waste, process salvage for sale, and provide exemplary customer service. Assignments may vary by day and location, and can include providing production support to the Outlet Stores and dock assistance at the Warehouse.
All employees are to maintain a positive and professional work atmosphere by acting and communicating in a manner so that you get along with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
PROVIDES SUPERVISION TO: None
RESPONSIBILITIES - ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
In all Goodwill environments:
- Accept donations.
- Inspect, grade, sort and process donations into appropriate categories -Cyber, textiles
wares, Outlet Center, Salvage and trash in accordance with current procedures.
- Maintain donation records, including donor tax receipts and the Daily Donation Log.
- Assist in loading and unloading trucks.
- Maintain a clean, organized and safe work area.
- Maintain accurate daily production records.
- Adhere to all safety policies and procedures at all times.
- Notify the Supervisor when supplies are needed or service/repair to equipment is
Additionally, at CDC sites:
- Responsible for keeping CDC assigned cell phone charged and on during business hours.
- Notify site manager of all safety concerns.
Additionally, in Operations environments:
- Removal of trash, as needed.
- Assist in setting up and taking down Outlet Center merchandise.
- Operate the baling machine, tipper, and compactor.
- Complete all required reports, including the Balers', Tippers' and Compactor Daily Checklist.
- Maintain a well-groomed appearance.
- Conduct self in a courteous manner at all times.
- Adhere to all company policies and procedures, including safety.
- Perform other job related duties, as assigned.
- Physical stamina to stand, bend and stretch for a full work shift.
- Good verbal communication skills.
- Legible handwriting.
- Demonstrated ability to provide good customer service.
- Interest in learning processing procedures and techniques.
- Ability to read operating and safety instructions.
- Proven ability to work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to take direction, work independently and work with minimal supervision.
- Neat, well-groomed appearance.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: Exposure to all weather conditions/elements. May be working outside with uneven walking surfaces and cement floors and/or inside on cement floors. Will experience moderate to extreme variations in temperature and weather, exposure to vehicle fumes, moderate to low noise level, and moderate to high levels of dust. Frequent interactions with general public.
Specific to CDC Environment only: Primarily work inside donation trailer that may or may not include climbing 5-6 stairs regularly.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: Able to withstand frequent sitting, standing and walking on concrete or uneven surfaces. Ability to perform continuous lifting, bending, stooping, reaching, grasping, pushing and pulling throughout entire work shift. Frequent pushing and pulling. Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds and maneuver weights up to 400 pounds using proper equipment.
For safety reasons, vision must be correctable to 20/20 and employee must be able to wear all personal protective equipment that is assigned, including, but not limited to, gloves and eye protection.
Specific to CDC Environment only: Able to climb small flight of stairs often during a work shift.
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Varies by site/location; includes Retail Store Manager, Post-Retail Manager, Donations Acquisition Manager
Minorities and People with Disabilities are encouraged to apply